Radiologist vs. Gynocologist and UFE

Uterine Fibroid Blog

The source for women's health and fibroids

Radiologist vs. Gynocologist and UFE

Radiologist vs. Gynocologist: Which is more qualified to perform UFE? Find out now!

Is it common for a radiologist to perform a UAE/UFE as opposed to an OB/GYN?

Because the procedure requires specific training in radiology, the procedure is often carried out by an interventional radiologist, while a gynecologist handles the pre /post procedural examinations and follow-up. 

However, as long as a physician has the combined expertise in both disciplines, they are capable of performing Uterine Fibroid Embolization. In fact, a recent article in the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology emphasized the importance of collaborative and comprehensive care (from diagnosis to follow-up) in the success of UFE. When an OB/GYN performs a UFE patients are able to receive better continuity of care.

Have a question and want to share? Click here to ask your question.

Leave a Reply


Facing a hysterectomy or other surgery?
Find out if embolization is right for you!
Call (888) 296-9422 or Click Here